Tuesday 12 November 2013

Are you chick lit or high brow?

Have you ever thought you might be like a literary character?

For you it might be Jane Austen's Emma or the tragic Cathy from Bronte's Wuthering Heights or even Ibsen's Hedda Gabler? 

For me, it's Bridget Jones.




Ok ok there are loads of differences: for a start I'm happily married and have been for 10 years now (to the same man) but like our Bridget, I had to kiss a lot of frogs first. 

And I don't have any children (re: Mad About the Boy) but have a house full of dogs (unlike Bridget whose first real encounter with a dog ended up with her nearly drowning it in friend's swimming pool). 

And I love fashion and can put an outfit together a darn sight better. 

So why am I like her?

Well firstly I'm very easily distracted: am writing this whilst cooking and have just realised I've forgotten to put the chops under the Georgie Foreman and everything else is now ready!!! Now that is very Bridget!

Also, Yahoo always gets me - I log onto the computer with every intention of doing some work but am instantly ambushed with Yahoo's front page and lots of pics and enticing stories to read. Two hours later am still reading the soap spoilers but now also have encyclopedic knowledge of boy bands and how to cook the perfect shepherd's Pie. But pages of work done: 0. 

We also share the same handbag. Well not literally - that would be weird! But whenever her phone goes off, usually during important meetings, she can never locate it as it's fallen to the bottom of her bag and she has to wade through bits of cheese and Sylvanian bunnies to retrieve it.

Well that always happens to me, minus the cheese and bunnies - I usually have to plough through bits of chocolate, old train tickets and dog poo bags! And like Bridge, usually the most embarrassing contents of bag i.e the dog poo bags (empty and unused hasten to add) always end up flying out and to my mortification have bits of melted choc stuck to them which looks really, really bad!

But going back to the fashion thing, I have a wardrobe full of clothes thanks to my ahem, *whispers guiltily* shopping habit, and whilst this makes me nothing like Bridget Jones, it does make me resemble another chick-lit chick - one Rebecca Bloomwood of the Shopaholic series.

It's not looking good for me is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment