Saturday 24 August 2013

The only way is Glamping - or a bit of Yurt won't hurt!!!!

Now I'll tell you one thing about me, I would rather slap myself in the face with a wet fish than go camping in a tent.

The only remotely outdoorsy things I do are lie on a sunlounger in the garden or sit outside a cafe sipping a cappuccino.

I positively hate the idea of sleeping on the floor of a wet tent with spiders crawling in my hair - ewwww.  And I don't do wellies either - not even the cutesy flowery ones.  The idea of stomping around in the mud at some festival (and yes, they're all invariably going to be muddy if they're held in the UK) fills me with the deepest horror.

So the idea of 'glamping' was something I didn't immediately dismiss out of hand.

Glamping, if you don't yet know, is short for Glamorous Camping.  The Urban Dictionary describes it as something that 'isn't done by usual outdoor types who climb mountains.'  Well that's ok then!

But isn't that an oxymoron I hear you cry!  Yep, I know it sounds incredulous that the word camping could ever be associated with anything even remotely approaching glamour.

I was sceptical at first but the facts seem encouraging.  Instead of smelly, damp canvas, the glamper stays in little wooden huts called yurts which come with all the essentials such as electric which is an obviously crucial commodity for operating hair dryers and straighteners!

Their interiors are really cool too and I'm not just talking about their air-conditioning units - they're often stylishly designed using the latest colours and fabrics.  And best of all, you sleep in a proper bed rather than on the floor in a grotty sleeping bag.  Hurrah!

Take a look at this stylish website http://www.glamping-uk.co.uk for examples of glamorous, glamping gloriousness.  There's even mentions of hot tubs - whoop whoop.

It's kind of your own little haven in the middle of the woods and you can pretend to be that intrepid explorer but still be able to tong your hair and watch TOWIE too.  Good times!


No comments:

Post a Comment