Monday 2 September 2013

AW13 - how to do punk with glamour!

Punk's not dead - it's alive and spitting and residing in your favourite high st stores for AW13.

Illustration by Beverley Duddridge



Be afraid - be very afraid?

Well, to me it's all a bit of a double-edged sword.

Let me explain.  I used to be a punk many moons ago but not when It was in its infancy.  More when it had shrivelled up and taken to sitting in the corner of a grotty pub snarling at everyone.  So to actually try and find punk clothes in the high st of the small town I lived in as a teen was like trying to find a shop that sells chocolate in the Sahara desert.

So I did what any born-too-late punk would do:  I covered all my clothes with millions of safety pins and my mum refused to be seen out with me in public. Sorry Mum!



But seeing slogan tees and tartan drainpipe jeans everywhere has elicited in me a kind of nostalgic curiosity. 

Even though I'm now a fully fledged member of the girly-girl club and love nothing more than glamour and glitz (the very antithesis of what Punk is all about) I can't help but swoon over little tartan kilts with humongous safety pins (hurrah) and don't-mess-with-me faux leather jeans.

"But could I wear Punk without a) looking very stupid and b) compromising my need to look glam at all times?" I hear you cry.

Well, the answer is a) yes and b) yes.  

Basically anyone can wear punk.  The trick is not to dress in it from head to toe.  After all, you really don't want to look like you're going to a fancy dress party.  

By all means wear tartan trousers with a slogan tee but throw a tailored pin stripe or black jacket over the top and wear with strappy heels for a cool yet classy look. 
Jacket - Zara
Trousers - Pull and Bear



Top - Mango

Shoes - Carvela by Kurt Geiger

Not a fan of the slogan tee? Then substitute it for a satiny blouse in electric blue which will look striking paired with the tartan trousers, whilst still retaining an air of sophisticated glamour.  
Top - Mango

And if the idea of tartan trousers leaves you cold, consider a cute tartan mini like this one from Mango 

















No comments:

Post a Comment